George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Paul Newman – Get to Know Hollywood’s Pranksters on April Fools’ Day
Though April Fools’ Day has already passed, it’s never too late to list down some of Hollywood’s favorite pranksters, both in and out of the set. Let’s get to know these people and see if we can match our own pranks with theirs.
Top Hollywood Pranksters
- George Clooney: Clooney is the undeniable No. 1 prankster. His pranks included setting up 4:30 a.m. wake-up calls for Jerry Weintraub, having a fake wedding for Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, placing 11 pounds of gravel in Bill Murray’s bags, and putting ‘I’m gay and I vote’ and ‘Small penis on board’ bumper stickers on Pitt’s car. The last one lasted for days, with Pitt wondering why people kept honking at him in traffic.
- Brad Pitt: Back in 1999, Brad Pitt held a party in a private Mexican resort on New Year’s Eve with ‘Fight Club’ director David Fincher. He shocked his guests by bribing the local government and having the power and phone lines cut off at midnight. He then bribed the Mexican task force to arrest one of his friends under fake drug charges. During the shooting of the ‘Ocean’s Twelve’ with George Clooney, Pitt passed around a memo to the crew telling them to call Clooney ‘Mr Ocean’. Although this resulted to payback time, courtesy of George Clooney (look back at Clooney’s fake bumper sticker prank).
- Paul Newman: Paul Newman’s classic pranks always have director George Roy Hill as the victim. In one occasion, Hill refused to buy drinks after a film shooting, so Newman faked a car crash and had people tell Hill that he was behind the wheel. Hill panicked and rushed to the scene, only to see Newman laughing. While filming ‘Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid’ Newman and Hill fought over some scene changes. This led to Newman sawing Hill’s desk in half. Lastly, on the set of ‘The Sting’, Newman actually sawed Hill’s brand-new Chevrolet, though Newman did replace it with a new one.
- Matt Damon: During the Venice Film Festival, Matt Damon played pranks on reporters, telling them that George Clooney had a boyfriend and will marry him the following year. In another incident, he and Leonardo DiCaprio teamed up by posing as medical interns and telling Jack Nicholson that instead of having his salivary glands checked, he will be having a rectal exam.
- Ellen DeGeneres: As often seen on her talk show, DeGeneres is a frequent good-natured prankster. She once took over a Hollywood bus tour and even hid in her guests’ dressing rooms. One of her jokes, where she instructs celebrities on what to say in public, resulted in the creation of the reality show ‘Repeat After Me’.
- Johnny Depp: While shooting for a scene in ‘Blow’, Penelope Cruz and the entire crew were shocked when a fart sound blew off. As it turned out, Johnny Depp brought along a remote-control fart machine. Ten years later, Cruz said that Depp brought back the same machine while shooting the latest ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ movie.
- Daniel Radcliffe: During the shooting of the ‘Harry Potter’ movies, Daniel Radcliffe would set other people’s cellphones into other languages. He also wore the same outfit for six straight months, eventually irritating the paparazzi.
Did your pranks even get close with any of these celebrities’ pranks? Post your comments below.
For more updates on your favorite celebrities, subscribe on Movie News Guide (MNG).