Sony Executives Suspect an Insider in the Cyberattack

By Kathleen Villaruben | 2 years ago
Sony Executives Suspect an Insider in the Cyberattack

While North Korea is still the main suspect to the massive cyberattack against Sony on Nov. 24, 2014, the executives of the company are starting to suspect it was an inside job. They assure that no outside source could perfectly hack Sony’s network.

The Assistant Director of the FBI’s cyber division said the level of sophistication in the breach is extremely high, and the department can tell based on their investigation so far that the hacking was organized and certainly persistent.


According to TMZ, multiple sources from the studio said North Koreans are probably involved, but they should have used somebody with superior knowledge of Sony’s system to hack on embarrassing information. The possible culprit may even have a grudge against the company.

It was also suggested that the hackers have connection with Sony layoffs which are mostly IT employees.

“No one on the Sony lot wants to be associated in any way with anyone from the I.T. Department right now,” an insider said, as published on Radar Online.

One source claimed that an executive in the television department is panicking because of the e-mail conversations with his mistress.

The hackers also released 32,000 e-mails to and from Sony Entertainment CEO, Michael Lynton. They consider it as the first “Christmas gift.” The e-mails are expected to be more controversial.

The hackers threatened there are more attacks to come that made the top industries extra cautious. There are already threats of violence in movie theaters and lawsuits that probably cost millions in damages by former employees.

The Department of Homeland Security said there was no intelligence that is credible enough to confirm that there is an existing threat to movie theaters. The threat, however, made New York and Los Angeles double their security.

Two former Sony employees accused the company of being careless and negligent against possible hackers. The lawsuit claimed the studio did not act on warnings when the IT Department and its lawyer believed the security system was weak based on leaked information from e-mails.

There you have it for the update on the Sony cyberattack. For more updates, follow Movie News Guide (MNG).


Photo Source: Wikimedia Commons/Ebraminio