Steve Carell’s North Korea Thriller ‘Pyongyang’ Cancelled After ‘The Interview’ Threats [WATCH VIDEO]

By Dondi Tiples | 2 years ago
Steve Carell’s North Korea Thriller ‘Pyongyang’ Cancelled After ‘The Interview’ Threats [WATCH VIDEO]

Steve Carell’s North Korea paranoid thriller film, “Pyongyang,” has been pulled by Fox and New Regency Productions following the 9/11-like threats from the Sony hackers who originally caused controversial movie, “The Interview,” to cancel its US theater release.

After the Sony hacker group calling itself the Guardians of Peace (GOP) promised to unleash terrorist attacks on movie theaters showing “The Interview” on Dec. 25, 2014, Fox decided to pull its own North Korea film out of circulation.


"Yesterday, I was told by New Regency and Fox that Fox will no longer be distributing the film," director Gore Verbinski told Us Weekly.

"Prior to that, the film was green-lit and fully funded by New Regency with Fox distributing. I have been told in no uncertain words that based on the situation at Sony, Fox has now decided to not distribute the film,” added Verbinski.

Verbinski also aired out his sentiments to criticisms to a majority of Hollywood denizens who decried “The Interview’s” cancellation as bowing down to threats of terrorism.

“I find it ironic that fear is eliminating the possibility to tell stories that depict our ability to overcome fear," he further added.

Earlier this month, GOP claimed ownership of a series of cyberattacks on Sony Pictures Entertainment and released thousands of gigabytes worth of sensitive information, including damning internal emails, bank accounts, Social Security numbers, as well as unreleased movies and screenplays.

GOP cited their protest against Sony film, “The Interview,” a dark comedy about a plot to assassinate North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un, as the reason for perpetrating the massive data breach.

They further threatened to replicate 9/11-like attacks on movie theaters showing the movie on Christmas day, prompting Sony to pull the film out of distribution.

Meanwhile, many Hollywood heavyweights are voicing their frustration over the movie industry, caving in to what Homeland Security and the FBI have announced is an empty threat.

"Will they pull any movie that gets an anonymous threat now?" filmmaker Judd Apatow stated, as published on Us Weekly.


"Really hard to believe this is the response to a threat to freedom of expression here in America,” comedian Ben Stiller added.

“Pyongyang” is a Gore Verbinski film starring comedian Steve Carell, who is currently undergoing a segue from comedian to serious dramatic actor.

Watch the clip on “Pyongyang’s” cancellation below:

[jwplayer mediaid=”41373″]

Will movie companies continue to shiver in fear and fold in the face of terrorist threats? Stay tuned for more of this developing news on  Movie News Guide (MNG).

Photo Source: Wikimedia Commons/RanZag