“Who that? Who that? I.G.G.Y.” And you’re treated to half a wink, a smirk, and a swipe of tongue. That’s Australian hip-hop performer, Iggy Azalea for you.
This 24-year-old sloe-eyed blonde has dominated the US Billboard Hot 100 with her hit, “Fancy,” at number one, becoming one of the only four female rappers to do so.
Here are some crazy facts that you still may not know about this long-limbed New South Wales native who was born with the gem of a name, Amethyst Amelia Kelly.
- She’s a perfectionist about her music, psychopathically so. As a child, Iggy was exposed to how her painter and comic artist father, Brendan, constantly worked on his projects until they were perfect:
“I grew up with someone who used to do something over and over again until it’s perfect,” she told Buzzfeed. “He’s taught me a lot outside of music about perfecting, and not having one go at something, but doing it again and again until it’s right. It’s made me a complete psychopath.”
- This Aussie girl raps with a South American accent. Fact is, Iggy lived in the American South for five years, moving from Miami to Houston to Atlanta. She says she’s been influenced by all that she’s absorbed as an impressionable teen with the gleam of ambition in her eye.
- She never did finish high school. While Iggy Azalea finally did get her GED in the U.S., she left Australia for America to make a name for herself before she even graduated. Unprepared, she was constantly broke while she pursued her dream.
- She cleaned houses and hotel rooms to make ends meet. This is where she learned valuable life lessons on hard work and developed an OCD for cleanliness as a result.
- Her stage name is a combination of a beloved pet and the street she grew up in. She must have loved her dog, Iggy, a lot, and Azalea is a street back home where her family still lives.
Know any other crazy facts about your favorite hip-hop star? List it down and share them in the comments.:
There’s more to find out about Iggy Azalea if you stay tuned and follow us for more gossip and entertainment at Movie News Guide (MNG).
Photo Source: Wikimedia Commons/Matt Klopot