TV Guide has released its annual list of Highest Paid TV Stars for 2014, and as the main cast of “The Big Bang Theory” secured new contracts for the upcoming season allowing them to earn $1 million per episode, Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco and Johnny Galecki have become this year’s top earners. Read on to learn more about this news story.
In coming up with this year’s list of top earners among television stars, TV Guide asked executives of networks and studios, as well as several talent agents for the necessary data, giving attention to how a star’s salary is affected by the changing business of television, particularly with the rise of DVR playback, online streaming and video on demand (VOD). With such a different landscape from three or four seasons ago, will the trio from “The Big Bang Theory” become the last breed of stars who would enjoy a salary demand of $1 million per episode?
TV Guide received different answers from the insiders to this question. One cited that for such a salary bracket, the show would have to be a “huge, broad, wildly profitable show that is showing no signs of slowing down.” One insider also noted that having a core cast is also a factor, so an ensemble series like “Game of Thrones” would most likely have stars under a lesser salary grade.
But as digital streaming is becoming popular, the demand for actors is also increasing. Hence, studios would be likely to pay more for securing a talent. This is already evident on the list, as “House of Cards,” which runs on Netflix’s streaming site, is already paying its lead star Kevin Spacey half a million per episode.
Here are some of the Highest Paid TV Stars for 2014:
- Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco and Johnny Galecki – $1M each per episode on “The Big Bang Theory” (Broadcast Television – CBS)
- Mark Harmon – $525,000 per episode on “NCIS” plus profit participation (Broadcast Television – CBS)
- Kevin Spacey – $500,000 per episode on “House of Cards” including producer fee (Digital Streaming – Netflix)
- Mariska Hargitay – $400,000 per episode on “Law & Order: SVU” (Broadcast Television – NBC)
- Patrick Dempsey and Ellen Pompeo – $350,000 each per episode on “Grey’s Anatomy” (Broadcast Television – ABC)
- Julie Bowen – $190,000 per episode plus profit participation on “Modern Family” (Broadcast Television – ABC)
- Angie Harmon – $185,000 per episode on “Rizzoli & Isles” (Cable Television – TNT)
- Kate Walsh – $175,000 per episode on “Bad Judge” (Broadcast Television – NBC)
- Kerry Washington – $150,000 per episode on “Scandal” (Broadcast Television – ABC)
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus – $150,000 per episode on “Veep” (Cable Television – HBO)
You can see the rest of the stars’ salary per episode in this gallery from TV Guide.
For more celebrity stories, television updates and movie news, keep checking Movie News Guide (MNG).
Photo Source: Wikimedia Commons/Kristin Dos Santos