Troubles are hitting the still-untitled young Han Solo movie hard. After losing its previous directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller, the new Star Wars anthology has reportedly hired an acting coach to help its lead star Alden Ehrenreich channel his inner space smuggler.
The Problem With The Young Han Solo
The upcoming movie is already facing such huge roadblocks. Last week, it lost its directors, Lord and Miller, due to creative differences. Ron Howard, an Academy Award winner, was given the monumental task of helming the story of one of the most beloved characters in the history of movies. Last month, Lucasfilm also fired movie editor Chris Dickens and replaced him with Pietro Scalia. Now, an acting coach has been called to the set halfway through filming.
This report comes from The Hollywood Reporter which mentioned that the young Han Solo movie has been plagued with problems from the start. According to the site, Lucasfilm hired an acting coach to help get a better performance from Ehrenreich. While it is not unusual for an acting coach to be present in a movie set, it was pointed out that hiring one so late into the production is definitely a cause for worry.
Before landing the role of Han Solo, Ehrenreich stood out in the comedy-musical Hail, Caesar!, a great feat considering that the movie also starred Channing Tatum, George Clooney, Josh Brolin, Ralph Fiennes and Scarlett Johansson. His other acting creds include The Yellow Birds and Rules Don’t Apply.
That said, the 27-year-old is not exactly a bad choice to play the role of Han Solo. He was chosen among 2500 actors from around the world for a reason. However, there is added pressure because, unlike Star Wars newcomers Daisy Ridley and Felicity Jones, Ehrenreich is playing a character who has already appeared on the big screen. The actor has to strike the balance between staying true to the character previously played by Harrison Ford and making Han Solo his own.
The Show Must Go On
Meanwhile, despite the departure of Miller and Lord, the production of the young Han Solo movie is still on full-speed. Howard will reportedly be in London to start work on the upcoming movie this week and will be filming from July up to the first week of September.
All the time, effort and resources spent while filming under Miller and Lord will not be wasted. According to The Hollywood Reporter’s source, most of the previous directors’ footage were “very usable.” Howard, fortunately, will not be starting from scratch and the movie is still on-track to its 2018 release.
The Han Solo movie is one of the upcoming Star Wars movies that fans feel most skeptical about. The issues surrounding the movie’s development have bestrewn more doubts about the movie, but having Howard, who is a massive fan of the franchise at the helm could only bring better things for the spin-off.
“I’ve been a fan forever,” the director said last week (via Variety) In fact, he recalled that when the first Star Wars movie was released in theaters, he saw the movie twice. “It’s gratifying to be asked to lend my voice to the [Star Wars] universe.”
The young Han Solo movie will also star Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian, Woody Harrelson as the space smuggler’s mentor/father-figure and Emilia Clarke in a still-unannounced role. Thandie Newton and Phoebe Waller-Bridge are also set to appear as undisclosed new characters. The spin-off will tell the life of the beloved sci-fi character before he met Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) and Obi-Wan Kenobi (Alec Guiness) in Star Wars: A New Hope.
The movie is set to be released on May 25, 2018.
Photo Source: Facebook/Star Wars