Boxer Paul Williams has been paralyzed following a motorcycle crash on Sunday that took place near Atlanta. Doctors have said they are not sure whether the boxer would every walk again. The manager for Williams told reporters that Williams could not move from below his waist and that his spinal cord had been severed. His trainer, George Peterson said that Williams remained in good spirits and said he plans to fight some day.
Authorities said Williams was trying to avoid a car that was oncoming when he crashed after originally trying to maneuver away from one car in the lane adjacent to him. The 30-year old boxer is originally from Aiken, South Carolina and was in the Atlanta area for his brother’s wedding that was held on Sunday.
A spokesman for Williams said that the fight scheduled for September 15 against Saul Alvarez has been cancelled. His promoter said that at this time there was not thought of any fights, expect the fight Williams faces as he tries to regain movement below his waist and maintain what he has above his waist.
Williams has a record of 41-2 lifetime with 27 knockouts. He has called himself a southpaw who is an active puncher who is comfortable fighting anywhere from middleweight to welterweight.
Williams, who was an interim super welterweight and world welterweight champion, beat the current middleweight champion Sergio Martinez in 2009 by decision. William’s trainer said he hopes his fighter can fight again and wants Williams’ fans to know the fighter is doing just that – fighting.