Last March 25, “X-Men: Apocalypse” director Bryan Singer introduced a relatively unknown actress, Lana Condor, on his Twitter and Instagram. He announced that she has been picked to play the role of Jubilee. The character is a teenage mutant with the ability to spew off fireworks, in the upcoming movie franchise, as reported by Variety. But as a new-comer, no one has any idea about who Lana Condor is. Read on for more details.
Get to know the young actress in this round up of five basic facts about her.
- Lana Condor, whose real name is Tran Dong Lan, is of Vietnamese descent. Now 17 years old, she and her brother were found in an orphanage in the Asian country. They were both adopted by an American, Bob Condor, who is a writer for the Chicago Tribune. This was around 1997. Here’s a story written by their father of their adoption.
- Growing up, Condor went to the Joffrey Ballet School and Ailey/Performing Arts School and she became an accomplished dancer. As such, she has performed with the Los Angeles Ballet and is currently a theater scholar from California Arts Scholars.
- As far as her experience in acting goes, Lana has done stage plays in school productions. She played Leilani in “Legally Blonde” and Amber Von Tussle in “Hairspray.” That’s all of her acting credentials for now, however. “X-men: Apocalypse” is actually her very first movie project.
- On her Instagram account, you can get a sense of how much she’s popular among her friends. Many of her photos include being with a bunch of people and she’s actively pursuing a lot of extracurricular activities in performing arts. She’s born to be seen and watched.
- Lana also appears to be a style maven befitting of her age. She knows how to dress up and stand-out. There are, in fact, shades of Jubilee in some of her photos on Instagram. It’s no surprise Singer picked her then.
“X-Men: Apocalypse” is set to run in theaters on May 2016 with James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Nicolas Hoult and Evan Peters as lead stars. They will be joined by Sophie Turner, Alexandra Shipp, Tye Sheridan, Oscar Issac and Kodi Smit-McPhee in the cast, along with Lana Condor. Expect more news about this franchise’s third installment in the months to come.
— Variety (@Variety) March 28, 2015
For more movie news, check back to Movie News Guide (MNG).
Photo Source: Wikimedia Commons/Marvel Comics