The Academy Awards, also known as the Oscars, is an annual American awards ceremony honoring cinematic accomplishments in the film industry. The awards, first presented in 1929 at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, are managed by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS). Keep reading to learn more about the splendid celebration of cinematic excellence.
The Oscars is the oldest entertainment awards ceremony. It was first televised in 1953 and is now seen live in more than 200 countries. The Emmy Awards for television, the Tony Awards for theater, and the Grammy Awards for music and recording are the equivalent of Academy Awards in respective areas.
The red carpet will once again be rolled out in Hollywood, California for the 87th annual Academy Awards, which will be held on Sunday, Feb. 22, 2015, at the Dolby Theatre. The full slate of awards events for the 2014-2015 seasons has been announced.
Check out the full list of events below:
- Nov. 8, 2014 – The Governors Awards
- Dec. 3, 2014 – Official Screen Credits and music submissions due
- Dec. 29, 2014 – Nominations voting begins at 8:00 a.m. PST
- Jan. 8, 2015 – Nominations voting ends at 5:00 p.m. PST
- Jan. 15, 2015 – Oscar nominations will be announced
- Feb. 2, 2015 – Oscar Nominees Luncheon
- Feb. 6, 2015 – Final voting begins at 8:00 a.m. PST
- Feb. 7, 2015 – Scientific and Technical Awards
- Feb. 17, 2015 – Final voting ends at 5:00 p.m. PST
- Feb. 22, 2015 – 87th Academy Awards begins at 7:00 p.m. EST/4 p.m.
And that’s it for the 87th Academy Awards update. For more details coming up about the event, including the complete list of winners, best moments, fashion verdict, who will be hosting this year’s Oscars and performances, stay tuned here on Movie News Guide (MNG).