Legendary’s “Pacific Rim 2” will be cancelled instead of having a delayed release? Read on to know the answer.
Fans got all geared up when reports say that director Guillermo Del Toro had been developing the sequel of the sci-fi movie, “Pacific Rim” for its Aug. 4, 2017 release.
However, in the recent update of Hollywood Reporter, it seems like the movie has been pushed back indefinitely and may be totally cancelled for good after rumors of delayed circulated a week ago.
The rumored reason behind this possible cancellation was all about the increasing messy relationship between Legendary Entertainment and Universal Pictures.
The report doesn’t clearly explained why Universal is giving the film a hard time, according to Slash Film, but basically, one of the possible main reason was all because of money. As the site pointed out that the first movie became “one of those films that grosses a lot ($411 million worldwide) while being so costly that a follow-up isn’t a sure thing.”
Moreover, though previous reports say that Del Toro already started developing plans for the sequel even before the original movie hit theaters, it still doesn’t stop the speculations that “Pacific Rim 2” will never happen.
It is said that aside from the reason of being so costly in production, the first movie’s disappointing domestic box office performance ($101 million or a little more half of the production budget) was also considered.
Del Toro’s “Pacific Rim” that was originally made under Warner Bros. deal was lead by the actors, Charlie Hunnam, , Burn Gorman, Charlie Day and Rinko Kikuchi were expected to reprise their roles if productions for “Pacific Rim 2” will happen in the near future.
The script was written by Del Toro, Zack Penn and Travis Beacham is said to pick up years after the first events from the first movie happened and was supposed to pave a way for the movie’s third installment.
Photo Source: Facebook| Pacific Rim