Is Ewan McGregor willing to return to the Star Wars franchise? Recently, the actor talked about wanting to reprise his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi and the possibility of getting a spin-off.
Obi-Wan Before A New Hope
With The Last Jedi is set to hit the silver screen on December, Lucasfilm is looking for new ways to keep bringing the audience in a galaxy far, far away. A Han Solo anthology is already in the works with Alden Ehrenreich replacing Harrison Ford as the space smuggler.
But alleged movie plans from Lucasfilm leaked online over a month ago that revealed another spin-off on the works. This time, it will center around Obi-Wan Kenobi.
There are plenty of stories to be told about the Jedi. The years in between the events of Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope remains untold. And, if the leaked information is true, it is something that Lucasfilm wants to explore.
However, fans should not be too excited about an Obi-Wan spin-off. The studio is yet to confirm whether McGregor will return to the big screen to reprise the role. More disappointingly, even the actor has not heard from Lucasfilm regarding the supposed planned movie.
“There’s no official offer, and I haven’t met them about it or anything,” the 46-year-old told EW. But is he willing to wield the lightsaber once again and save the galaxy? “I’ve always said that I’d be happy to do it if they wanted to do it. It would be a good segue between the last episode of the prequels and the new episodes.”
Lucasfilm has already explored stories beyond the Skywalkers. Rogue One, for example, introduced a whole new cast who played a huge part in bringing down the Empire. With the young Han Solo anthology in the horizon, the film and TV production company seems to be expanding the Star Wars mythology.
However, even McGregor is not optimistic about the possibility of an Obi-Wan movie. The actor added, “I think they’ve got films to make until the 2020s, so I don’t think it’s going to happen soon if it happens at all.”
More Spin-Off in the Future
Lucasfilm’s CEO Kathleen Kennedy revealed this month that Disney might announce the next anthology from the Star Wars franchise this summer. While the studio still has a total of two movies after The Last Jedi, it is exploring spin-off options for 2020.
Moreover, the success of last year’s Rogue One will give way for more stories to be told beyond the central narrative. Speaking at Star Wars Celebration (via Screen Rant), Kennedy shared that the reception of the Gareth Edwards movie gave Lucasfilm “more confidence” to move forward with the planned spin-offs.
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story was about a group of rebels who are responsible for stealing the Death Star blueprints. The events of the movie happened before A New Hope where Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) were able to successfully destroy the massive weapon. Moreover, it was able to answer one of the franchise’s biggest plot holes.
The movie which starred Felicity Jones as Jyn Erso, daughter of the architect of the Death Star and leader of Rogue One, grossed over $1 billion in the international box office. It also remains popular among movie lovers as it tops home video sales charts. The movie was first released via digital downloads from Mar. 24, but a home release was not available until Apr. 4.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
In the meantime, Star Wars: The Last Jedi is the eighth movie of the saga. It will see Rey’s (Daisy Ridley) Jedi training under Luke Skywalker and follow the continuous battle between the Resistance led by General Leia Organa (Carrie Fisher) and the First Order
The movie is set to be released on Dec. 15. Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Domhnall Gleeson, Gwendoline Christie, Billie Lourd and Laura Dern are also set to appear.
Photo Source: Facebook/Star Wars