After months of wait, the second half of Vikings Season 4 is ready to set sail this November. But, what can viewers expect from Ragnar Lothbrok (Travis Fimmel) and the Norsemen? Here are seven confirmed or rumored spoilers before fans officially return to Kattegat.
1. After years of absence, Ragnar is back in his own kingdom and his family. However, it seems like the Viking leader is no longer welcome in Kattegat. The trailer for Season 4b saw his oldest son, Bjorn (Alexander Ludwig), consulting with the Seer about the return of his father. And he does not look too happy that he is back.
2. Lagertha (Katheryn Winnick) also has a mission this season: to take back what is rightfully hers. Years after her separation from Ragnar, the Earl of Hedeby will have her revenge from Queen Aslaug (Alyssa Sutherland). The latter took away her land and her family.
“I want you to know that I can never forgive you for taking away my husband and my world,” Lagertha told Aslaug.
3. New characters will also be introduced when Vikings return this month. Josefin Asplund of The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo was cast as Astrid. She is a woman who resides in the Great House. Astrid will become the new lover of Lagertha who, after a series of a terrible experience with men, wants to seek solace in the arms of a woman.
“You can well imagine why Lagertha might now be in a relationship with a woman,” show creator Michael Hirst explained, “because all the men she’s been involved with have betrayed her and let her down.”
4. Meanwhile, Ragnar still has an old beef to settle with King Ecbert of Wessex (Linus Roache). The Season 4 Episode 11 synopsis revealed that the Northman will return to England to confront Ecbert about the Viking settlement the latter destroyed after agreeing to protect the small group. In the War Against the Old World, Ragnar will bring an army that is twice as big as the one that journeyed to Paris (and lost). Does this guarantee that the Viking leader will redeem his former glory?
5. As for his children, the grown-up Lothbroks are starting to claim their own mark in the world. Bjorn will head to the Mediterranean aboard a boat made by Floki (Gustaf Skarsgard). Like his father once dreamt, Bjorn wants to make history by discovering a new land that the Vikings have never set foot before.
6. Ivar the Boneless, the only son who does not hate his father after his long absence, will also emerge to become a great warrior. But, not yet. Alex Hogh Andersen explained in a video on Facebook that his character, Ivar, is a typical teenager who wants love from his father. So, when Ragnar came back, he felt relieved.
“Ragnar fills him with the ambition to develop and do something, get out of the world and not just dragging himself around,” the actor stated.
7. But, does this signal the end of Ragnar Lothbrok? There has been plenty of rumors that the story of the Viking leader will end soon. However, that does not mean that the show is nearing its conclusion. Hirst said he already has plans for what the finale might look like.
“I still want to, if I can, end it with the discovery of America, and at least one of the sons of Ragnar being there,” he assured. “[Ragnar’s death] was never going to be the end of the show.”
Vikings Season 4 Episode 11 will air on Nov. 30 on History.
Photo Source: Facebook/Vikings